Friday, June 15, 2018

From Inside The Sane Asylum...Front Porch Therapy

Front Porch Therapy
Coconut Water
Each Monday and Thursday afternoon, around five, there is a gathering of this workout group. I don’t know the name of their group, but it reminds me of P.E. Class back in Junior High. The only difference seems to be in purpose?

Back then, it was this Presidential Fitness Program. Not because we were fat but just because someone decided the kids needed to be more fit. Not tougher, but fit. My guess...quicker response time to get you under your desk. As we grew older and larger, we needed to be fit to fold under that small desk when we practiced incoming Russian Nukes. I remember Coach Montgomery saying “you will thank me one day.”

My homeroom class got pretty good at The nuke drill. Ranked right up there with the top performers. I always worried about the slower classes. I was afraid they may not make it in time. I remember how good it felt when it was over. The bell would ring and you could now get back in your little desk. Remember all the initial carvings in the top of the desk? Always looking to make sure your girlfriend wasn’t plussing someone else.

Remember the Red Cross drives in school? Give 10 cents and they gave you this little bend on tin button with the Red Cross symbol. I was always so proud to clip it on the pocket of my shirt. What a dumb ass I was at times. But I was fit. We all got this Presidential Fitness certificate to prove it.

Back to this fitness group that gathers across this little pond I live on. It started just after the first of the year. One of those Resolution Groups. It was quiet large back in January but a few months later there are only a handful remaining. Very fit I must say. Their coach yelling, “get the lead out of your ass, your grandma can run faster than you, you think this funny, this is your life, you will thank me one day!”

Apparently the fitness group has a way to single out the less fit and inflict a little shame. They make them run three laps around the pond, just because they did not get the lead out. Well, my front porch is a little hidden as they make their way around, so for the last few weeks, I offer the shamed ones a glass of coconut water as they round my porch.
Do they take it? Hell yes. They take all they can get. Hell, I have to run them off so they want get in more trouble. Nothing like seeing a smile on an almost fit body.

Thanks Couch Montgomery. You said I would thank you one day ...Doc

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Entry Note To Self...the art of living

Journal Entry: 12/12/18 The Art Of Living How we choose what we do, and how we approach it…will determine whether the sum of our days ...