Friday, June 15, 2018

From Inside The Sane Asylum...over yonder


Over yonder a ways...


I spent a lot of my professional time working up north. That would be anything north of Louisiana. When I introduced myself to anyone, they always said “you talk funny.”

Well I suppose I do. My language evolved from the influence of a lot of country sayings. For example, “Y’all” is always used when you are referring to more than one person and “all y’all” is used when you want to give a stern warning to y’all. Like when you say, “ Now all y’all can just take a flying leap up....”. I’m trying to clean up my cursing, so you can fill in the blanks.

In my part of the world, you never knew where anyone actually lived. When you ask anyone where they lived they would just point and say, “over yonder a ways.” So, to go visit anyone the directions to their house would go something like this...” Well, you go over yonder a ways, cross over the tracks, take the dirt road to the left and drive to you get to the dogs laying in the road and you will see the house on the left...just pass the dogs.”

Another favorite of mine was, “I reckon I’m fixing to.” Means you just might get up and do something when you get a round to it. If you suggest that someone do something, they more than likely with tell you, “I might could do that. Let me think bout it.”

But my favorite of all was, “Bless your little

heart.” It always meant, I don’t want to hurt your feelings, but you are an idiot...

I came from a rich background of culture with strong characters and I am grateful for those experiences...now don’t take this wrong but “bless your pea picking heart.”

I would write more, but I have to put the chickens to roost. Enjoy your evening...Doc


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Entry Note To Self...the art of living

Journal Entry: 12/12/18 The Art Of Living How we choose what we do, and how we approach it…will determine whether the sum of our days ...