Friday, June 15, 2018

Beach Chair Therapy...

I am obliged to perform what I consider my duty. I must guard this mighty fortress, CASTILLO DE SAN MARCOS.

The military stores were seized this morning by the order of the governor. A Company of volunteer soldiers marched to the barracks and took possession of me, and demanded peaceable possession of the keys of the fort and magazine. I demanded them to show me their authority. An aide-de-camp of the governor showed me his letter of instructions authorizing him to seize the property, and directing him to use what force might be necessary.

Upon reflection I decided that the only alternative for me was to deliver the keys, under protest, and demand a receipt for the property. One thing certain, with the exception of the guns composing the armament of the water battery, the property seized is of no great value.

The gentleman acting under the governor’s instructions has promised to receipt to me for the stores along with another rum and coke...

So it is this day under my umbrella, enjoying that rum and coke. After all, it’s therapy...Doc

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Entry Note To Self...the art of living

Journal Entry: 12/12/18 The Art Of Living How we choose what we do, and how we approach it…will determine whether the sum of our days ...